How to care for your wigs
Hate washing your hair every week? Well guess what… human hair wigs actually are designed to NOT be washed regularly. We recommend every 4-5 weeks.
You will need to invest in good quality non-sulphate shampoo and conditioner, if you are to correctly look after your custom colour lace front wigs. We recommend brands such as Pureology Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioning or Osmo Shampoo and Conditioner.
After shampoo and conditioner, a deep conditioning mask treatment is very good too. Some deep conditioning masks that are good, include Osmo Deep Hydration Mask, Bleach London Reincarnation Mask and Moroccan Oil Restoration Mask.
Also, if you want to give your hair even more love and care, you can add some Avanti Silicon Mix Treatment to your deep conditioning mask.
Guide To Washing Your Wig
Warm water wash
Run the wig under warm water. Run some shampoo vertically through the hair and gently use your fingers to stroke the hair. Then rinse.
Cold water wash
Do the same with conditioner and then rinse. When conditioning, switch to cold water.
Silicon mix treatment
Take some deep conditioner and run it through the hair vertically. Then add some silicon mix treatment to the hair and continue to run your fingers through the hair so it soaks up the deep conditioning mask.
Leave the mask on the hair for 1 hour. Leave for longer if you have time.
Rinse conditioning mask
Rinse the deep conditioning mask out the hair with cold water.
After lightly patting the wet hair with a towel, add a small amount of Kérastase Nutritive Nectar Thermique to the hair and Moroccan oil serum. Then leave the hair to air dry naturally. After airdrying naturally you can add a small amount of either one of these products to the hair again. Then you can finish by styling as you like.
Products for wig care maintenance:
- Pureology Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner
- Osmo Deep Conditioner Mask
- Avanti Silicon Mix Deep Conditioning Treatment
- Moroccon Oil Leave in Serum
- Kérastase Nutritive Nectar Thermique Heat Protection Leave In
For curls and kinky textures use the above products but its also worth investing in a lightweight mousse when styling. Curlsmith or Shea Moisture do good styling mousses.
- Best to use low heat on the wigs when styling. Don’t go above 150 degrees with styling tools.
- Oil isn’t something to use daily. It’s only really used after wash days Or, if the ends get a bit dry. This can happen with the blonde wigs after time.
- Investing in good shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioning masks and oil is a must for human hair wigs if you want them to last.
- Use a wide tooth comb when washing if needs be.
- For styling use a soft bristle brush. Avoid over brushing the wigs, it’s not necessary.